English Medium Instruction: Building Bridges for a Better Understanding
Thursday 22nd June 2017
Department of Education,The University of Oxford
Bridging between researchers and stakeholders
Research on EMI and CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning) suggests that there is a lack of effective communication among researchers, policy-makers and key stakeholders (learners and teachers). This symposium aims to explore how research can inform policy and practice and how stakeholders can influence the kinds of research questions being asked.
Bridging between different phases of education:
There is also a dearth of research on how EMI in higher education has an impact on secondary education and vice versa. This symposium will explore the kinds of research that needs to be carried out in order to comprehend the challenges students face as they progress from one educational phase to another.
- Ernesto Macaro EMI Oxford, Department of Education, University of Oxford
A systematic review of English Medium Instruction research
- Tarja Nikula Centre for Applied Language Studies, University of Jyväskylä
Language and disciplinary learning combined: CLIL challenging conceptions of language skills
- Pauline Rea-Dickins*, Roger Smith, Yasmine El-Masri* Aga Khan University and University of Oxford*
Developing an evidence base for a university language policy: the case of the Aga Khan University
- Jessica Briggs EMI Oxford, Department of Education, University of Oxford
Comparing the lexical landscapes of Higher Education lectures in EMI and L1-English settings
- Heath Rose EMI Oxford, Department of Education, University of Oxford